Monday 1 April 2013

Post 7. Time With The Sisters Of Calcutta.


So last week I spent time in my home town of Tangier. Making it a tradition to always visit the sisters  and put some love and effort back into the system. 

These women selflessly give their lives over to aid people in countries worldwide, never knowing how long they stay nor even questioning why they are there. The sisters in Tangier care for babies up to the age of 4yrs, training their mothers on primary aids, nutrition and health, allowing mothers to continue to work. They support women with Cancer, they feed children on the street, offering showers, new clothes and medical assistance. 

When I walked into the room of about twenty children or so, delighted or angry to see me it's always an overwhelming experience, the sisters are flapping about trying to do ten things at once whilst screaming in broken Arabic just to be heard by the kid across the room, she hands me a few little ones to mind, play with and change diapers before lunch is served. This one kid had fallen down some stairs at home and when the sisters received him they were told he had hurt his arm, when they took a closer look they knew it was more serious then just a fall. He sat there teary eyed and trying desperately to catch his breath as he waited to be seen by some kind Spanish Doctors who visit occasionally volunteering their skills. Turned out he broke his arm and a cast was made up, he finally slept. We fed the children, bathed them, put them to bed and disinfected the room ready for the next round. I then made my way downstairs to the little babies, where you lay down and they crawl over to you either looking for some food or just to play. There are so many fulfilling and heartbreaking exchanges made but I just can't imagine my life without knowing the reality of others.

I'm sure I left out endless other duties but these women inspire me and I can't help but dream of sometimes handing my life over too when I see what it is they do. If you ever have the opportunity to visit your local sisters.......do. I can promise you the experience will be rich and maybe inspire you to do that little bit more. 

If ever you find yourself in Tangier and want to put in some hours call Sister Therese Francis before hand on +2129931013 and she will tell you when and where to visit.




1 comment:

  1. I've heard about Tangier, especially the historical Medina quarter, I may should visit it sometime :)
    The work of the Sisters sounds like a hard job, building up one's own family is probably much more fun. x

    ReplyDelete